Discover Alley Gardening

Sunday, September 14, 2014

So I Said I Couldn't Grow Zucchini...



Like everyone else who gardens, I am having that late-summer harvest experience: the mountains of zucchini are upon me. This is somewhat surprising given the state of the yellowing, shriveling baby zucchinis last summer and early this summer. But my efforts to rehabilitate our poisoned alleyway soil have born fruit...in the form of zucchini tyranny.


But unlike my family members, who are groaning at every new zucchini creation that graces the table, I LOVE zucchini season!!! What other plant is virtually guaranteed to give you a mountain of food, literally at least as tall as you are, every season?


My husband seems to think this quality of zucchini is of little value since it is food virtually no one wants to eat. I think he's crazy. There's such an amazing variety of things you can do with zucchini!!!

If you have a great zucchini recipe, share it with me. I'll add it here, and we can all love our zucchini harvest together!

Savory Zucchini Muffins


1 comment:

  1. Of course, our personal favorite and NOT low cal: Zucchini Cake:
    Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare a bundt pan or 3 loaf pans with oil and flour.

    In blender or food processor, place:
    1 large zucchini, cut up in 1" chunks
    1 c. oil
    4 eggs
    2 tsp. vanilla

    Blend on high until liquified

    Meanwhile stir together in a large bowl:

    3 c. flour
    3 c. sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 Tbsp. cinnamon

    Combine wet and dry ingredients until well blended. Stir in 1 c. of chopped nuts of your choice. (We prefer pecans or walnuts.) Pour into prepared pans to 2/3 full. Bake at 350° F for 1 1/2 hours (Bundt pan) or 45 minutes (Loaf pans) If unsure, back until sides begin to pull away from pan, or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Invert and cool for 15-20 minutes before running a knife along the edge to loosen cake and remove from pan. May be glazed, if you wish. I don't think it needs to be any sweeter, but some prefer a light glaze over this cake.

    ReplyDelete