Discover Alley Gardening

Saturday, July 19, 2014

In the Beginning . . .

The Edmonton Alley


This is what I started with last summer. Since we bought the house, I've had a minor obsession with turning our section of this alleyway into something green and productive.

Working in my favour:
  • Southern Exposure
  • Long summer days (Sunrise at 5 a.m. and Sunset at 10:30 p.m. in the height of summer)
  • Fence creates a small microclimate
  • Nice long expanse

Working against me:
  • This is Edmonton, Alberta -- it's not exactly known for it's gardening. Summer doesn't last long, and the winter is so, so cold.
  • Very little real soil; lots of gravel
  • Hard, hard, hard, and very difficult to dig through
  • Thick bed of cedar wood chips covering the entirety of the alleyway and flower beds (my neighbor, a soil scientist, will later inform me these are a soil sterilant, and they are poisoning everything I try to grow)
  • Neighbor's trees casting large shadows through much of the day
  • Our own pine and spruce casting shadow, sucking the soil dry, and dropping a constant bed of needles
  • Through years of neglect, Canadian thistle has invaded the entire property. It's the only thing that will grow up through the wood chips, and it will prove a constant battle to try to eradicate. No wonder they call it "Hell Lettuce."

No comments:

Post a Comment