Discover Alley Gardening

Friday, July 25, 2014

It's Poisoned, Poisoned I Say!!!



Who can't grow a freakin' zucchini?!

Me...because I have poisoned earth!

Last spring, our first spring in the Edmonton house, I bagged and disposed of hundreds upon hundreds of pounds of wood chips from the flowerbeds in the front.

It doesn't look like much, but trust me, there are hundreds of pounds of wood chips in that flowerbed.

By the time I got to the alley, I thought I could take a shortcut and just start turning all these millions of wood chips into the dirt.

 I had this naive idea that, if buried, they would simply decompose, adding hummus to the soil and loosening up all the compacted clay and gravel. Don't ever be tempted to do this!

we're evil


The result? Nothing in the alleyway growing, and poor little baby zucchini that were just turning yellow, shriveling up, and falling off when no more than an inch long.

No comments:

Post a Comment